Sunday, 17 February 2013

Catfish

I've had a ridiculously busy couple of weeks, and was supposed to be going out last night for cocktails, but made a tactical decision to stay in and revive myself. So there I was, splayed over the sofa flicking through Sky recordings before I stumbled across 'Catfish'. It's a documentary I'd heard some coverage on, so I decided to watch the first part before getting an early night.

I'd like to point out now that I ended up watching it to the end.

It's a documentary film which follows a guy called "Nev", who starts to talk to people online who he hasn't met in real life. The film follows as he falls for a girl named "Megan", talking to her for hours at a time despite the fact that Nev has never met her. All he has to go on is her Facebook profile, her family on Facebook (who Nev also speaks to regularly) and the occasional faint phone call. As the movie unfolds Nev looks to discover more about this person of whom he's spent 9 months forming a bond with. I seriously recommend giving it a watch as it really makes you think about today's internet culture.
It just made me realise how vulnerable you can be online, how some people are ridiculously good liars and how lucky I am to have my family. The end is pretty sad, there are always motives behind actions.
However, the only thing I didn't like about Catfish were the scenes in which Nev was half dressed as I was trying to eat whilst watching it and his inhuman amount of body hair nearly made me vom. Don't say I didn't warn you xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment